Top 10 Reasons to Stay Active During Pregnancy!
Pregnancy is the most exciting time in a woman’s life, but can also be the most exhausting time as well. There are so many changes that happen within those little 9 months and the last thing that you may want to think about is exercise!
However, exercise during pregnancy has many benefits that most mothers-to-be are not aware of. Here are my top 10 reasons to get moving!
1. Increased energy: You may believe that going to the gym would leave you just the opposite; however, that cardio session may just give you the boost that you need to do your daily errands and make it through the day.
2. Improves Mood: Exercising has been shown to increase your endorphins level to boost your mood! During pregnancy, we can feel a bit down or crabby thanks to hormones an fatigue, and this is the way to combat those feelings!
3. Bounce Back Faster: Staying regularly active during your entire pregnancy will not only leave you with a positive self-image, but it will aid in your returning to your pre-baby body. You will actually bounce back faster and have an easier time working out postpartum.
4. Sleep Soundly: Most women have problems falling asleep or sleeping through the night during pregnancy due to the large amounts of Progesterone and general pregnancy discomforts. Exercise reduces stress and tension within the body, allowing you to feel calmer.
5. Reduces Discomforts: Pregnancy is a time where body parts will hurt that may have never hurt before; particularly back, hips, and lower abdomen! Stretching and regular exercise will help to loosen those tense or tight muscles and break up any lactic acid build-ups. Yoga is the best exercise for this!
6. Speeds up labor: Yes! Exercise even helps with the biggest moment of your pregnancy. Certain exercises such as squats and Kegels can help stretch and strengthen the pelvic floor, allowing you to build a firmer push for your big day.
7. Reduced Risk for a C-Section: Regular exercise has shown to decrease the need for medical interventions such as a C-Section by decreasing the chance of delivering a baby with a high birth weight. It also reduces the risk by strengthening the body to do what it was made to do-give birth successfully!
8. Speedier Postpartum Recovery: When you keep your muscles moving, they are less likely to lose their memory. The better shape your body is in prior to delivery, the faster it will work to recover itself. It will also help you get back to the gym and your workouts faster during your postpartum phase.
9. Prevents Excess Weight Gain During Pregnancy: It is no secret that keeping fit during pregnancy will keep those excess pounds off! Often, women tend to accidentally consume more calories than needed to sustain their baby and end up with more than the 25lbs-35lbs that the doctor recommends. By staying active, you can tame those cravings and torch those extra calories.
10. Lowers risk for Gestational Diabetes: Exercise keeps your glucose levels at a steady level by allowing your body to use glucose without extra insulin, preventing gestational diabetes. It is recommended to get at least 30 minutes of activity daily; even if it is a brisk walk in the park!