Saturday, July 11, 2015

A New Attitude of Gratitude on Life

On Thursday, my husband and I took our son, Greyson, to the ER after days of non-stop vomiting and diarrhea. We had been struggling with his sickness for almost 3 weeks, which resulted in two doctors visits: one said he had an allergy and the other said it was an ear infection. They said to wait it out and let the antibiotics work.

Well, they didn't and his condition got worse steadily. He wouldn't eat nor keep fluids down. Finally, we had enough and took him to get some answers. Little man was pale, dehydrated, and not feeling well at all. It broke our hearts and we were ready to see him feel better.

In the ER, he received an IV of fluids, IV antibiotics, X-rays, and was catheterized (so hard to watch) so they could get his urine for testing-and because he hadn't peed in almost 12 hours.

They decided to admit him overnight in the pediatrics unit to give him more fluids and to watch him closely for dehydration. We also did not want to bring him home only to go right back if he wasn't feeling well. 

The verdict was a virus-a bad one. I was sick on Wednesday with a virus and it seems that Greyson and I passed it right back and forth between each other. I did not eat that entire day and couldn't even stomach the taste of water. I stayed in bed all day long.

Greyson's ear infection has cleared up and we are working through the virus, keeping him hydrated while it runs its course.

Our little boy was such a trooper throughout it all. He was always in good spirits and didn't bother with his little IV. We were impressed with the pediatrics unit and thankful that they had a playroom to encourage play and healing. He even recognized a toy he had from home-the xylophone! 

My best friend Mary came to visit us and to help Grady, my husband, out with bringing our things and luggage to the hospital while I watched Greyson. She was such a big help and has been there for us since before Greyson was ever born. This girl threw me my baby shower, took our maternity photos, came to the hospital when our son was born, helped us move into our new home when Grey was 3 months old, helped plan his first birthay party with me, and the list goes on. I cannot thank Mary enough and I cannot pinpoint a better friend to have in my whole entire life! Here is a throwback photo from heading to our maternity shoot, below.

The next day, Greyson had improved so much. After being admitted, he starting wetting his cloth diapers again immediately and the color returned to his face. The cheery little boy we know and love was feeling like himself! Here is him and his daddy-twins! I want to thank my husband for being such a big help in the hospital. Remember, I was getting over the virus too and still had tummy issues (still having them today) to say the least. If my tummy doesn't cooperate, I will have to make a trip to the ER myself, but I have been downing tons of water hoping it won't get to that point. 

We are finally home and are feeling a bit better-but it is a good feeling to be back in our own environment.

I realize that there are some parents out there who are not as fortunate as we are. Some parents deal with broken bones, cancer, and even defects that cause complications or lifelong health issues. I cannot even begin to imagine how you feel-I really cannot. I don't know how you do it. I know some of you would trade places and spend a night in the hospital for a virus any day and I am so sorry. 

But, this little minute scare has really helped me to realize how good we have it. Everyday, we wake up and expect our babies to be healthy. And when they aren't, our world is turned upside down. There are some mommies out there who wish they just had a baby to take care of-sick or not.  

Greyson's hospital stay made me thankful for the life that I have. It made me thankful to sleep in my own bed at night, in my own home, eating my own food, and spending time with my healthy son and husband. It made me thankful for the times when I feel my very best. It made me thankful for all of the friends and family who called, texted, messaged, and dropped by to see us. A lot of you ladies had prayed for Greyson and I want to thank you so much. We felt the love. 

I can truly say that I have a new attitude of gratitude on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...