Here are 5 ways to instantly bring out the happy mommy in you:
- Have YOU time. I know you are laughing hysterically at your computer or phone screen right now, but hear me out. YOU NEED TIME TO YOURSELF. "When the hell can I even squeeze in a second of me time," you might wonder. Well, it does not come easy, especially with each child you add to the wonderful mix. You have to MAKE it. Ask your spouse or a friend to watch the kids the kids for a bit and go do something that pleases nobody but you. Go for a drive alone. Go for an evening walk. Go shopping (hello, retail therapy!). Go to a movie. Go get a pedicure or a massage. Take a long, interrupted bath. You deserve this, mama.
- Take Care of Yourself FIRST. This goes hand-in-hand with the above. You cannot take care of anyone until you've been taking care of first. You have to be sane and in your right mind to make good choices because, if you aren't, you will spew your negativity onto your kids, spouse, and even your friends and other family members. Leave the chores alone-they will be there tomorrow, trust me-and go do YOU. Do not for one second let anyone make you feel selfish for doing so. A happy wife, a happy life-for everyone in the household. You, as the wife and mother, are the love and warmth of the home. So do whatever it takes to get that love and warmth back into your heart to spread around.
- Eat Clean & Exercise. Lots of mothers tend to either forget to eat, eat way too much, eat junk food because it is convenient, or eat their toddler's meals. Eating cleaner scientifically improves your mood and makes you happier. Don't believe me? See for yourself. As far as exercise goes, it releases endorphins-the happy chemical in your brain-and can totally make a huge impact in your day! Aim for at least 30 minutes per day, even if it is grabbing the jogging stroller out of the closet and walking the kids to the nearest park.
- Wake Up Early. Some of you may criticize me for this one, but seriously try it. If you have lots of work to do around the home and often feel that there just isn't enough hours within the day, try waking up an hour earlier than your kiddos. I do this most mornings because I love enjoying my coffee and blogging, in peace. Or, I like to wake up first thing in the morning to workout since this is a huge mood-booster to start my day!
- Meditate. Lastly, sit down and take a moment to shut your brain completely off. This is very hard for most people to do, but try, for at least 5 minutes or so. Next, think about your tasks for today-not tomorrow or the next day, but focus on today and what you want to accomplish. Sit in silence, practice deep breathing, and do a little yoga to end your session!