Every morning, rain or shine, sick or healthy, at home or on vacation...I do the same thing: drink a glass of warm water with a lemon right after I wake up. I read about this tip several months ago and I've been hooked on it ever since. I drink it BEFORE my coffee and fresh juice. I found myself craving it each morning. Probably because my body was getting the hydration and vitmains/minerals/enzymes it needed. And even better, my digestive system was super excited about it too because it gave me the kick in the pants (literally) to get out the food and waste from the day before and start fresh that day.
All you have to do is take a glass of warm water, squeeze the juice of half of a lemon into it, and drink it right when you wake up. Repeat this daily. Sometimes, if I want a little extra boost, ill add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper, ginger, or cinnamon. Apple cider vinegar is also a great addition!
Benefits of warm water with a lemon:
- Stimulates digestive system. Once you get in the habit of doing this (or maybe even after the first time you do this) you will find that it will probably get things moving in your digestive tract...and you'll be heading to the bathroom.
- Increase hydration. I love how hydrated this makes me feel each morning
- Help with cleansing and detoxing. The lemon water stimulates your liver to help with detoxing, and helps the digestive tract expel toxins.
- Improve skin. Thanks to the vitamin C in the lemons.
- Help with acid reflux and bloating.
- Help make your body more alkaline. Despite the fact that lemons may seem acidic they are actually very alkaline when they are digested in our body. Drinking lemon water will help increase the alkalintiy of our body, a key goal in decreasing inflammation and preventing disease.
- Support your immune system. Thank you vitamin C! I've also heard it can be helpful if you have a sore throat.
- Help with weight loss. One by keeping you hydrated and two, because they have pectin fiber which can help fill you up.