The treadmill just might be the most overused piece of equipment in the gym; however, many people do not use the treadmill to their full advantage. Sometimes running at a steady pace for an hour just does not produce the type of results that you are looking for. To maximize your fat burn while on a treadmill, you must switch it up by using interval training mixed with HIIT. You've got to keep your body constantly guessing! This guarantees that you will sweat-a whole lot-and feel much more satisfied with the workout instead of feeling like you've just ran around in circles all day.
Here are 3 insane HIIT style treadmill workouts to try today:
HIIT Incline Hill Workout
- Warm up with 10 minutes of easy running
- Begin your workout by setting the incline to 8 percent and sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds
- Then lower the incline to 5 percent and walk for 30 seconds
- After walking, sprint for 90 seconds at your 10K pace
- Then walk for 2 minutes.
- That’s one round; do 6 to 9 total rounds.
30 Second Interval HIIT Sprint Workout
- Set the treadmill to a 2.5 incline
- Run 30 seconds as fast as you possibly can
- Walk for 30 seconds.
- Repeat 10 times each.
- More advanced runners can crank it up to one or two-minute intervals, with a one-minute recovery in between sets
Short Interval HIIT Workout
- Warm up with 5-minute easy jog or walk.
- Increase incline to 1% and run at a fast pace for 30 seconds.
- Run easy pace for 30 seconds.
- Run fast pace for 1 minute.
- Run easy pace for 1 minute.
- Run fast pace for 90 seconds.
- Run easy pace for 90 seconds.
- Decrease incline to .5%, run fast pace for 2 minutes.
- Run easy pace for 2 minutes
- Repeat pattern of fast/easy intervals (from the beginning) 2 more times.
- Cool down with 5-minute easy jog or walk.
Perhaps, we can learn a thing or two from this guy. Do not try this at home!