Yum is not the first word that comes to mind when I think of cauliflower. I am not a big fan because I often feel that it is such a bland vegetable due to the lack of taste. But, what if I told you that it is an amazing junk food replacement? Many people I know use cauliflower by mashing it to make a "mashed potato-like" dish. However, my favorite way to use this unpopular veggie is by making pizza crust! By replacing the flour with shredded cauliflower, you will eat less carbs and get a high dose of vitamin C and antioxidants. Honestly, you cannot taste much of a difference because cauliflower tends to be one of those foods that takes on the taste of other ingredients. Cool, right?
Here is how to make your very own garlic flavored cauliflower crust!
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup basil & oregano mix
- salt/pepper to taste
- Place cauliflower pieces through the feeding tube of the food processor using the grating blade; pulse until all the cauliflower is shredded.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower, cover, and steam until tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cooled, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir Italian cheese blend, basil & oregano, egg, garlic, salt, and pepper into cauliflower until evenly incorporated. Pour mixture onto the prepared baking sheet; press and shape into a pizza crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Top with whatever you like!